- Photographs and brief notes on the Capernaum ruins
Crossan and Reed
See Capernaum for brief notes on the ancient site of Capernaum.
The Seminar voted Red to the proposition that Capernaum was a key center for Jesus' activities in the Galilee, but the tradition has been developed and preserved in very different ways by each of the evangelists:
- MARK constructs an artificial "day in the ministry of Jesus" stretching from 1:21 to 1:39.
- MATTHEW simply notes that Capernaum was the main location for Jesus, and then connects that with his theme of fulfilled prophecies.
- LUKE develops a visit to the Nazareth synagogue in 4:16-30 as the opening scene of Jesus' public ministry, with Capernaum simply the next stop on his travels.
- JOHN also records a tradition that has Jesus and his followers staying for a period at Capernaum.
See Jesus First Day for texts in parallel columns.